Thursday, December 9, 2010

Futile actions - are they so futile?

Many times, we avoid taking an action because we think that the result has very little chance of success

If the success of the action brings very little benefit, I do understand and accept this reason. However, I do believe that even if the success of the action will bring huge benefits, still most of us will not take the action.

Why is that?

I think that we have a built-in protective mechanism. The former causes of not taking the action where lame excuses. The real reason is that we believe that our action will embarrass us if it does not succeed. Or in other words - people will consider us as IDIOTS.

The funny thing is that when other people do try such actions, we think these people are brave (even if they fail).

I want to tell you an anecdote I was involved lately:


I was trying to contact a company in my line of business. The company is located in South Carolina. I do not know anyone there and I wish not make a cold call. I was trying to think who I knew in SC and then I remembered. A friend and a former client of mine lives in there. His name is Tommy.

I sent Tommy a short mail in the following ironic spirit "Hi Tommy, I know SC is a very small village having only 20 people but is it possible you know company X?"

This was definitely against all odds. The population in SC is about 4.5 Million. I was not really expecting Tommy to know anyone and I was willing to "suffer" if Tommy shoots me an email back with "are you crazy?"

The answer came 15 minutes later. Tommy buzzed me back and said "I know their founder, we were in the fraternity together, do you want a warm introduction?"


I encourage you all to avoid the erroneous assumption of what will people think of you and try more actions even if their chance of success is slim.

And for the Star Trek fans - It is good that Jean-Luc Picard decided to resist the Borg even though it was clear that "resistance is futile"



Amir

No comments:

Post a Comment